Tuesday, November 26, 2013

An Exercise in Drawing

I regard the illustration classes I took while I was a student as the basis for the passion and knowledge I now have to draw. I have always been drawing but I acquired and learnt a lot during my university years, and that is mainly due to one of the greatest professors an illustration student could have, Daniel Drennan.
One of the first things he taught was that illustration should begin with what we see around us. We must observe and study the elements we choose to draw by looking at every detail they offer. Once having considered all the information given by a piece, the illustrator can then decide what they what to depict with their drawing. Every sketch should begin with a realistic rendering of the chosen item. 

This multi-view study of a bamboo stick was done using pencil.



No comments:

Post a Comment