Saturday, November 30, 2013

Night Friends

I have grown up with two loves: video games and comics. 
Although I have been playing videos games since the 90's I never really thought about actually creating or doing any sort of art for videos games. That all changed when I discovered a gem in the indie video gaming world called: Machinarium (I suggest you look it up if you are not familiar with it).
The simplicity of the gameplay was so beautifully crafted and the fix camera angle, jaw droopingly gorgeous scenes made me think to myself, wow I want to make something like this one day (ONE day). I felt this same way about comics when a friend introduced me to the world of Hellboy. 
I immediately fell in love with the art of the great Mike Mignola and I again found myself saying, wow I want to make something like this.
My earliest work was influenced but the artistic style used by Mignola, using large amounts of blacks for shading and just drawing lots of creepy little things (such as skulls which I have had a unhealthy obsession with for years).

These were part of a postcard series I did as a project while I was a student at the American University of Beirut. Colors were written down on pieces of paper which were placed in a hate, each student had to pick a paper and draw a series based on the color they got, and as if by fate I got the color black.
Originally penciled and inked using a Uniball pen, they were later scanned and color using photoshop.
This series was published in the last issue of Rusty Radishes.







No comments:

Post a Comment